Friday, January 20, 2012

My baby no more?

Baby Boy!
Corbett was born with very little hair.  And it grew slow. SLOOOW.  On his second birthday, we took him for a haircut, not because he needed it, but because I grew impatient of waiting for that milestone.
Two Years Old



Anyway, his hair continued to grow, and the curls began to show.  And boy, did he have curls.  Beautiful curls.
Three Years Old

Those curls have garnered him much attention and won him plenty of "get out of jail free"cards.
"Ladies love me because I have curly hair"

But, he hates having it combed. It is very fine hair and it knots so easily. The tears were too much.  I have always said that I would never argue with my kids about hair.  Its just hair.  You want a mohawk?  Fine.  Blue hair? Even better.

Its just hair.

But, but, but...

Corbett's curls? Gorgeous.


He asked a while ago, to cut it, so we took him.  When the hair dresser asked what he wanted, he told her he wanted the back and sides long still, but the front bang shorter.  He was happy with that.  For a while.

On Tuesday, at his hair appointment, Corbett asked for short hair. The hairdresser looked at me, questioningly, and I replied, "It's his hair, his choice".

So she cut. 

And she cut some more.  If I was an emotional person, I might have shed a tear or two.  Instantly, as the hair fell away, my baby boy,  my precious, last born--grew up.  The child whose pregnancy was so miserable, but in contrast brings so much joy.  He was growing older, instantly, before my eyes. It was like watching one of those videos where you see a person age before your eyes.

I sent a text to my husband.

Me: Corbett is getting it cut short.
Him: Nooooooooo (He is the more emotional one.  I knew he'd be sad to see the curls go)
Me: Yes (followed by this picture)


Corbett LOVES his new haircut.  He no longer has to endure the combing sessions he hates so much.  I am happy for him, I truly am.  And he looks very handsome.  I admit that I miss the curls, but they were never mine to have. If he ever wants too, he can grow them back.

But, he grew up, right before my eyes.  And that?  Oh, my heart.

(this picture is not the best picture of his new 'do, but it is the first one,  I will post better pics next time)

Six Years Old.

No comments: