Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I am so excited!

Those who have known me for any length of time know that I am a flautist. It is something that I have always enjoyed and the added bonus is that I have a natural talent for it.

Putting aside life changing events such as childbirth, playing in a full concert band or ensemble is one of the coolest things I have ever experienced. To hear how multiple parts played by multiple instruments can turn a piece of music into something that evokes feeling is one thing, but to participate in creating that sound is entirely another.

I have truly missed it. Then at the 2008 Staff Christmas party for the Running Room fate stepped in!

You see, Frank is one of my co-workers (if you need running shoes, go see Frank...he's the man, seriously). Frank's wife Sally was the music teacher/band conductor at Lockerby Secondary School until retiring a couple of years ago. Sally is now the Concert Band Leader for the recently developed Laurentian University Concert Band.

I was all set to audition, then it turned out that their rehearsal night was not an open time for me. I was crushed, but determined to clear my schedule for the Fall so that I could audition.

Last night was my audition and I have to tell you I was nervous. REALLY nervous.
I hadn't had a lot of time to practice and tend to be self-critical about these things.

But not to be deterred, I went determined to do my best. Thankfully, Sally was very impressed and I am now a member of the Laurentian University Concert Band!

I am so excited!

Jes

No comments: